#73 - I have a desire to create

My friend Stephanie shared a video on her blog that really touched me. I remember when Elder Uchtdorf gave this talk and I loved the message. Basically, he tells us that the desire to create something that didn't exist before is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul.

It doesn't just apply to painting a picture or writing a song or penning a poem. It can be as simple as creating a loving atmosphere in the home. Creating a feeling of happiness in someone's heart.

This is the video that was put together based on his talk:



One of the reasons this resonated with me is that I do have the desire to create a book. A painting. A poem. I love the feeling of finishing a project and seeing what I've made. Of knowing that someone else might see it and be touched and be better for it.

So, Stephanie issued a challenge on her blog and I'm going to respond and offer the same thing to all of you.

The first five people to respond to this post will get something from me!
My choice. For you. Handmade.

This offer does have some restrictions and limitations:

1- I make no guarantees that you will like what I make.

2- What I create will be just for you.

3- It'll be done this year.

4- You have no clue what it's going to be (nor do I at this point).

The catch is that you must re-post this on your blog and offer the same to the first 5 people who do the same on your blog. The first 5 people to do so and leave a comment telling me they want to receive a homemade gift from me will indeed receive one.
And be sure to post a picture of what you win when you get it!!!

11 comments:

  1. I am doing this. I just received my tenth rejection on my full. So I'm not feeling particularly creative. Thanks, Jenn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved that video. I am posting it on my blog. I'm excited to see what you will make!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you don't know me, but I am a life-long bookworm as well. And a lurker, for that matter. Do I get to claim a creation even though you don't know me? I understand if not!

    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fun! I love this video and posted it on my blog in February I think. I can't wait to see you in April!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HEY! This must be my lucky day! I thought for sure you already had five comments because you posted this a while ago (and I've been a bad, bad friend in not visiting sooner). But HURRAY!

    I will take up this challenge too. I love to create, and I love to see what others create too.

    Thanks for sharing your talents with us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elana and Mel, ideas for your creations are percolating... :)

    Kelly, I'd love to make a creation for you. Just let me know how to get in touch. I can't access your profile, and, therefore, your blog. I'm assuming you have it private. Let me know if you've followed the rules and offered up creations of your own. I'll post my email address on here for you to reach me at, but I don't want it just sitting out there until you come by again. Let me know when you're here and I'll just leave it up long enough for you to email me.

    Danyelle, I know the video's been going around authorsinc, and I haven't heard of anybody who watched it and didn't love it. I think the message especially resonates with those who are already trying to create something. I'd love to make a creation for you, too. Have you / are you planning to "pay it forward," so to speak?

    I wish I could say I'd just make creations for all of you instead of being a stickler for the rules, but I'm sure there are people who would have posted if they knew I'd say that, so I have to be strict with it out of fairness to them.

    Ali, I'm so glad you came by before they were all claimed. :) You're the next contestant on The Price is Right!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Creations are great! How are you doing?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn,
    I actually don't have a blog, that's why you couldn't see my profile! I was trying to think of ways I could follow the rules without a blog (use Flickr, send a mass email to all of my friends, etc.) but it seems like you are a stickler for the rules, so I will withdraw my name from consideration.

    Thank you for the blog, by the way. I enjoy reading it. It never ceases to amaze me that I can find people with whom I have so much in common, yet at first glance no one would ever realize that. I live in Brooklyn, New York, I'm your age, no kids, not married but in a relationship, etc., etc. It is nice to meet you. I'll keep reading!
    Thanks,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kelly, I hope you come back and check this again. I don't think it's important that you post the offer on a blog, necessarily. If you were to send the offer to create something out in an email or through facebook, or whatever, I'd still count it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the video and love your ability to create

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jenn, Please email me so I can get your gift to you. (And tell me your favorite color.)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Come back soon! :o)