My Current Fitness State, Goals, Etc.

Because it's not /all/ about the writing. :o)

So, I'm working on getting healthy and fit, and I thought I'd share some of what I'm doing because I've found a few things that I think are great.

First of all, I was diagnosed with exercise-induced asthma years ago, ever since I had pneumonia in 10th grade. But I actually cured it by doing Body for Life a couple years ago. By doing the 20-minute interval program, and just pushing myself a little more each workout, I was able to get not only my heart and muscles, but even my lungs strong and healthy. After that, I started running 5K's. It took me a while to work up to actually being able to run 3 whole miles without risking passing out right on the road. But it's an awesome feeling!

I decided to branch out last year and started biking and swimming. I ran a little "wimp's triathlon" last March and that was really cool, but it merely whetted my appetite to run a /real/ tri. I was training toward that end when I biffed it big time on my bike up on the trail in May. I then proceeded not only to fall off my bike, but off the wagon as well. I gained back all the weight I had lost, and lost a lot of the muscle I had gained.

However, I'm back in the swing of training, and I've actually committed to running the Women of Steel Triathlon in May. I'm excited and nervous all at the same time.

I also joined in a community weightloss blog run by the fabulous Tristi Pinkston. That's been helping me get back on track when I go astray - having some accountability to people. I've also garnered a lot of advice and ideas from the other members of the blog. One of which is my "new big thing."

It's called the Leptin Diet. It really makes sense to me, and seems to have some good science behind it. There are basically 5 rules:

1. Don't eat after dinner.
2. Eat 3 meals a day allowing 5-6 hours between meals. No Snacking!
3. Reduce Carbohydrates. (But do not cut them out -you need a 50/50 ratio)
4. Don't eat huge meals.
5. Have a high protein breakfast.

Here's a slightly humorous and quite informative video that explains the diet pretty well:



So, that's it. Eat well and exercise. Groundbreaking, right? :o) I'll report back in at some point in the future with how things are going.

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! And that's so cool that you cured your own asthma! Keep it up. I'm very proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go Jenn! That is actually a lot harder than said. I have been trying to watch what I eat and exercise for years now. I love to hear what other people are doing. Please keep us updated! =) And good luck - You can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did a tri a tri a few years ago, but I'm an awful swimmer and didn't do very well. It didn't help that I was 8 weeks pregnant.

    Good luck on the goals.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go!! I am impressed with the tri! I had a friend last year that invited me to do a wimpy tri and I trained for a couple months and then realized I can't swim!! I can't keep from swallowing water when I breathe, so I bagged the training. Oh well. I have been doing interval sprints and spinning 6 days a week, so that has been great, but can't seem to get past a 5k distance.

    I love that you are doing the Leptin Diet!! My mom told me about that a while ago, so I did that from Halloween until the week before Christmas with my exercise and lost 10 pounds! I like it because the rules make sense and are easy to do. I think the one about not eating after dinner is huge!! There is a lot of controversy about no snacking vs 5-6 small meals a day. I am not a snacker so it works for me!

    Good luck - sounds like some great goals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really curious to see how this works out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! I was going to ask you, what was that diet you're on called again?

    Good luck Jenn. I believe in you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds very similar to Bob Greene's Best Life Diet. I don't have time to watch the clip now, but I'll come back later.

    I found you from Ali Cross's site by the way. Nice to "meet" you.

    Once Upon a Time on a Fast Sunday

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! We have something else in common. I want to run a women's triathalon in 2011. I'm not quite ready yet so I'm waiting til next year, but I'm really excited about pushing myself and seeing what I can do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Come back soon! :o)