Being a Good Friend

At critique group last night, we were talking about going out into the blogging world and making friends - going to blogs, commenting, replying to comments, etc. I've obviously been very bad at that lately, but I'm trying to do better.

Anyway, the whole conversation got me to thinking about that old saying, "To have a good friend, you have to be a good friend." So when I got home, I actually googled the above saying and funnily enough, I came up with a WikiHow on making friends. You can read it here if you're interested. I personally found it funny, but still enlightening and profound at times.

My favorite line was, "Friends seldom come knocking on your door while you sit at home playing computer games."

It's the sad truth, friends. If you want lots of people to follow your blog and comment on it, you have to follow lots of blogs and comment on them. If you want to have lots of friends who are writers, you have to go to conferences and signings and other places where writers gather and talk to them.

I haven't been devoting much time lately to being a good friend because life has been overwhelming, but you can expect to see me around a little more here and there. Because I'd like to be your friend.

Drop me a comment and let me know what you do to make friends - on or off line.

2 comments:

  1. This is a hard thing for me--reaching out. It's easy to stay home and stay quiet. You're also guaranteed not to get hurt if you don't play the game. However, I'm learning that not playing isn't making me any happier, so I'm reaching out more and while there's been a little hurt, there's been a lot more love. And that's worth it.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, you happen to be one of the most friendly, nice people I know. Especially knowing that it's hard for you, you do an amazing job getting out there and being friendly. You have a gift for somehow making everyone in the room feel special all at the same time. <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving a comment! Come back soon! :o)